Führer Directive 17
|The Führer and Supreme Commander|
of the Armed Forces
1st August 1940.
In order to establish the necessary conditions for the final conquest of England I intend to intensify air and sea warfare against the English homeland. I therefore order as follows:
- The German Air Force is to overpower the English Air Force with all the forces at its command, in the shortest possible time. The attacks are to be directed primarily against flying units, their ground installations, and their supply organizations, but also against the aircraft industry, including that manufacturing antiaircraft equipment.
- After achieving temporary or local air superiority the air war is to be continued against ports, in particular against stores of food, and also against stores of provisions in the interior of the country.
Attacks on south coast ports will be made on the smallest possible scale, in view of our own forthcoming operations.
- On the other hand, air attacks on enemy warships and merchant ships may be reduced except where some particularly favorable target happens to present itself, where such attacks would lend additional effectiveness to those mentioned in paragraph 2, or where such attacks are necessary for the training of air crews for further operations.
- The intensified air warfare will be carried out in such a way that the Air Force can at any time be called upon to give adequate support to naval operations against suitable targets. It must also be ready to take part in full force in Operation Sea Lion.
- I reserve to myself the right to decide on terror attacks as measures of reprisal.
- The intensification of the air war may begin on or after 5th August. The exact time is to be decided by the Air Force after the completion of preparations and in the light of the weather.
The Navy is authorized to begin the proposed intensified naval war at the same time.
[signed] ADOLF HITLERww2dbase
Added By: C. Peter Chen
» Battle of Britain
- » 1,026 biographies
- » 324 events
- » 34,646 timeline entries
- » 721 ships
- » 327 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 335 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 167 facilities
- » 449 book reviews
- » 24,593 photos
- » 287 maps