Luftwaffe Bombing and Use of Gas in France
|No:||887||15th Aug. 40|
To JOHN [DZhON][i].
The press reports the following [1 group unidentified] Germans.
1. Before the main air-raid small groups of aircraft travelling ahead lay a screen of white smoke. Large groups bomb a few minutes later under cover of the smoke.
2. Single aircraft and small groups have the job of shooting up barrage balloons.
3. Ju-88's are equipped with an instrument for bringing the aircraft out of a dive and releasing bombs at the same time. The instrument operates on the aneroid principle.
4. After the German airmen from shot-down aircraft get down on the water they release a green smoke cloud which can be seen by an aircraft at a distance of about five miles.
5. The daytime raids by the dive-bombers are allegedly mounted in most cases at a height of 2,500-3,000 metres. They peel off from this height down to 1,500 metres and go into a dive.
6. The German Commandatures used small amounts of colourless and odourless gas on the MAGINOT LINE and at LIEGE. A medical man who has been treating soldiers suggests that this gas was of the araine type [MYShYaKOVO-VODORODNOGO SOSTAVA].
|No. 226||DICK [DIK][ii]|
|Comments:||[i]||JOHN: Unidentified MOSCOW addresssee 6th July 1940 - 16th September 1940.|
|[ii]||DICK: Covername of unidentified LONDON signatory and addressee between 6th July 1940 and 11th October 1940.|
Source: United States National Security Agency
Added By: C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
» Invasion of France and the Low Countries
» Ju 88
- » 1,076 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,320 timeline entries
- » 1,061 ships
- » 334 aircraft models
- » 187 vehicle models
- » 349 weapon models
- » 105 historical documents
- » 213 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,399 photos
- » 314 maps
Joachim von Ribbentrop, German Foreign Minister, Aug 1939