|Historical Name of Location||Arlington, Virginia, United States|
Contributor: C. Peter Chen
ww2dbaseArlington Hall was founded in Arlington, Virginia, United States in 1927 as a private post-secondary women's educational institution. In 1940, it became a non-profit institution. In 1941, it operated under the name of Arlington Hall Junior College for Women, and its campus was about 100 acres in size. In Jun 1942, it was taken over by the United States Army under the provisions of the War Powers Act, and was turned over to the US Army Signals Intelligence Service. The cryptanalysts at Arlington Hall focused on breaking Japanese codes.
ww2dbaseArlington Hall remained in military and government use until the time of this writing, having been a facility for US Army, National Security Agency, Defense Intelligence Agency, State Department, and US Coast Guard.
Arlington Hall Timeline
|10 Jun 1942||Under the War Powers Act the US Army took possession of Arlington Hall, a former girls' school, in Virginia, United States as its base for the Signals Intelligence Service. During the war Arlington Hall would concentrate its efforts mainly on decrypting Japanese codes.|
|1 Jan 1977||The United States Army Intelligence and Security Command was created with its headquarters at Arlington Hall, Arlington, Virginia, United States.|
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
|WW2-Era Place Name||Arlington, Virginia, United States|
- » 1,003 biographies
- » 322 events
- » 33,998 timeline entries
- » 716 ships
- » 320 aircraft models
- » 182 vehicle models
- » 333 weapon models
- » 99 historical documents
- » 155 facilities
- » 440 book reviews
- » 24,340 photos
- » 287 maps
Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, at Guadalcanal