Contributor: C. Peter Chen
ww2dbaseTheodore Francis Wessels was born in 1892. Immediately before the war he was an instructor at the United States Army Infantry School. During WW2 he commanded the 8th then the 20th Armor Divisions in the China-Burma-India theater and then in 1944 he became a liaison to Ceylon. Colonel Charles Hunter of the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional) "Merrill's Marauders" described him as "a rugged, robust, hearty officer of good infantry military background who possessed the rare quality of being able to think along orthodox military lines."
ww2dbaseWessels retired from the Army in 1952. He passed away in 1974.
ww2dbaseSource: Vinegar Joe's War.
Last Major Revision: Nov 2005
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » Hidekazu Tamura shared his feelings toward his war time internment (2 Sep 2020)
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,093 biographies
- » 332 events
- » 37,977 timeline entries
- » 1,111 ships
- » 337 aircraft models
- » 189 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 116 historical documents
- » 225 facilities
- » 464 book reviews
- » 27,028 photos
- » 339 maps
James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy, 23 Feb 1945