Details of the Tommy-Gun; Report on British Anti-Invasion Measures
Editor's Note: The following content is a transcription of a period document or a collection of period statistics. It may be incomplete, inaccurate, or biased. The reader may not wish to take the content as factual.8 Jul 1940
Ref. No.: 3/NBF/T1625
Copy No.: 201.
2. REPORT ON BRITISH ANTI-INVASION MEASURES (1940)
8 July 40
Â Â Â Â Â To JOHN. [i]
1. Tommy-guns are automatic submachine guns:
Weight: 4.2 kilograms
Length: 33 inches
1,500 rounds a minute
Effective range: 70 metres.
2. Yesterday [we][a] drove past two military airfields. Blockhouses with machine guns have been erected along the airfield boundaries. There are two rows of barbed wire joining the blockhouses and surrounding the airfields. There are [Fairey][a] Battles at BENSON airfield and Hurricanes at NORTHOLT. They all have Anglo-French markings. New COVENTRY patrols are being carried out by flights of Hurricanes.
3. On the roads are police armed with rifles. The troops are stationed in concealed camps in woods and oopses. Carts with their shafts pointing upwards and agricultural machines have been left standing in fields under cultivation.
Note: [a] Inserted by translator.
Comments: [i] JOHN: Unidentified MOSCOW addressee.
Â Â Â Â Â [ii] DICK: Unidentified LONDON addressee.
United States National Security Agency
C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- Â» Wreck of Jantina Found (4 Jan 2022)
- Â» WW2DB's 17th Anniversary (29 Dec 2021)
- Â» Wreck of Johnston Found (8 Apr 2021)
- Â» See all news
- Â» 1,115 biographies
- Â» 334 events
- Â» 39,808 timeline entries
- Â» 1,168 ships
- Â» 339 aircraft models
- Â» 192 vehicle models
- Â» 364 weapon models
- Â» 121 historical documents
- Â» 229 facilities
- Â» 464 book reviews
- Â» 28,150 photos
- Â» 366 maps
Winston Churchill, 1935
Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 a month will go a long way. Thank you!
Or, please support us by purchasing some WW2DB merchandise at TeeSpring, Thank you!