Details of the Tommy-Gun; Report on British Anti-Invasion Measures
Ref. No.: 3/NBF/T1625
Copy No.: 201.
2. REPORT ON BRITISH ANTI-INVASION MEASURES (1940)
8 July 40
To JOHN. [i]
1. Tommy-guns are automatic submachine guns:
Weight: 4.2 kilograms
Length: 33 inches
1,500 rounds a minute
Effective range: 70 metres.
2. Yesterday [we][a] drove past two military airfields. Blockhouses with machine guns have been erected along the airfield boundaries. There are two rows of barbed wire joining the blockhouses and surrounding the airfields. There are [Fairey][a] Battles at BENSON airfield and Hurricanes at NORTHOLT. They all have Anglo-French markings. New COVENTRY patrols are being carried out by flights of Hurricanes.
3. On the roads are police armed with rifles. The troops are stationed in concealed camps in woods and oopses. Carts with their shafts pointing upwards and agricultural machines have been left standing in fields under cultivation.
Note: [a] Inserted by translator.
Comments: [i] JOHN: Unidentified MOSCOW addressee.
[ii] DICK: Unidentified LONDON addressee.
Source: United States National Security Agency
Added By: C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,076 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,320 timeline entries
- » 1,061 ships
- » 334 aircraft models
- » 187 vehicle models
- » 349 weapon models
- » 105 historical documents
- » 213 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,399 photos
- » 314 maps
General Douglas MacArthur at Leyte, 17 Oct 1944