Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Machines such as aircraft and ships might have held greater potentials of devastation, but the infantrymen were the basic building blocks without which a war cannot be won. These infantry weapons were the infantrymen's instruments of battle.
- » Finland to probe role of Waffen-SS volunteers (31 May 2018)
- » Your patronage is needed for WW2DB (17 May 2018)
- » Your help is needed to transcribe WW2 documents (17 May 2018)
- » Japanese National Archives released names of Unit 731 members (17 Apr 2018)
- » Wreck of USS Helena found (12 Apr 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,036 biographies
- » 326 events
- » 35,053 timeline entries
- » 725 ships
- » 328 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 338 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 169 facilities
- » 452 book reviews
- » 24,776 photos
- » 287 maps