Report on Intelligence Activities in London
2. BARCh REQUESTS MOSCOW'S PERMISSION TO MEET STANLEY
15th July 40
1. There is no possibility of setting up MUSE [MUZA][i] in the METRO [ii]. Nor is it appropriate to set her up somewhere in town. I have decided to instal [sic] the MUSIC [MUSIKA][iii] in one of the Military Attaché's rooms where she will come and work. The only ones to fear are the NEIGHBOURS' [SOSEDSKIJ][iv] people, who are in so many places here that it is hard to escape their notice. MUSE can listen out for you only on 22nd July.
2. I request permission personally to meet STANLEY [STENLI][v] since his behavior is incomprehensible and it is difficult to work with him.
[ii] METRO: The Soviet Embassy.
[iii] MUSIC: a W/T set.
[iv] NEIGHBOURS: Members of another Soviet intelligence organization.
[v] STANLEY: See also LONDON's Nos. 798 of 22nd July 1940, 816 of 26th July 1940, 847 of 3rd August 1940 (3/NBF/T1794), 876 of 13th August 1940 and 1310 of 13th June 1941 (3/NBF/T1594).
[vi] BARCh: Possible[y] Simon Davidovich KREMER, whose official post was Secretary to the Soviet Military Attaché in LONDON. He was appointed in 1937 and is thought to have left sometime in 1946. The covername BARCh occurs as a LONDON addressee and signatory between 3rd March 1940 and 10th October 1940, after which it is superseded by the covername BRION.
Source: United States National Security Agency
Added By: C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,076 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 37,320 timeline entries
- » 1,061 ships
- » 334 aircraft models
- » 187 vehicle models
- » 349 weapon models
- » 105 historical documents
- » 213 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,399 photos
- » 314 maps
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, 16 Mar 1945