Bombing of British Cities; British Aircraft Losses; New Machine Guns
1. GERMAN BOMBING
2. REPORT ON BRITISH BOMBING RAID
3. PRESS REPORT ON GERMAN AND BRITISH AIRCRAFT LOSSES
4. PRESS REPORT ON NEW MACHINE-GUNS
29th Aug. 40
1. The British used only searchlights against the lone SAUSAGE-DEALER [KOLBASNIKI][i] bombers flying last night. There was no A.A. fire in the centre of town. All five of the captured crew of a night bomber turned out to be pilots, i.e. the SAUSAGE-DEALERS are using night flights for training.
2. During a flight by British bombers over the ALPS to attack Italy ice formed on the wings of the aircraft, forcing one aircraft to turn back.
3. The press reports that from 8th to 26th August 890 SAUSAGE-DEALER aircraft were shot down over Britain (10% of them by A.A. guns). The British lost 219 [aircraft][a] and 94 [b] of the pilots survived. The figure does not include the British losses outside the United Kingdom [METROPOLIYa] or in action over Germany and Italy.
4. The press reports that new EFAA machine-guns have gone into production. First type - 7.92mm, rate of fire 3,000 rounds in 30 minutes without changing the barrel and 7,000 rounds in 30 minutes using two barrels. Second type - calibre 15 mm, 800 rounds fired in 8-10 minutes using two barrels.
Notes: [a] Inserted by translator.
[b] Or "95".
Comments: [i] SAUSAGE-DEALERS: the Germans
[ii] BARCh: Possibly Simon Davidovich KREMER, whose official post was Secretary to the Soviet Military Attaché in LONDON. He was appointed in 1937 and is thought to have left sometime in 1946. The covername BARCh occurs as a LONDON addressee and a signatory between 3rd March 1940 and 10th October 1940, after which it is superseded by teh covername BRION. ww2dbase
Source: United States National Security Agency
Added By: C. Peter Chen
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » WW2-era bomb defused in Frankfurt (9 Jul 2019)
- » Birthday Celebration for WAAF Teleprinter Operator (7 Jul 2019)
- » Passing of Richard Cole, Doolittle Raider (10 Apr 2019)
- » Wreck of Wasp Found (13 Mar 2019)
- » Wreck of Hornet Found (12 Feb 2019)
- » Wreck of Hiei Found (11 Feb 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,058 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 36,626 timeline entries
- » 1,031 ships
- » 332 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 343 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 188 facilities
- » 461 book reviews
- » 25,631 photos
- » 290 maps