WW2DB's new photo gallery
C. Peter chen
WW2DB is proud to present a new photo gallery this evening that bring forth a much logical flow in navigation, thumbnail previews, and perhaps most importantly a search tool that allows visitors to perform custom queries for particular photographs. For example, if you would like to search for color photographs of MacArthur from the US National Archives collection, you may do so with the following:
- Enter "macarthur" in the "Keyword(s)" text field; the text is not case sensitive
- Change the "Source" dropdown to "United States National Archives"
- Change the "Color" dropdown to "Color"
When you click "Search", you will get the two color photographs of MacArthur at the Tokyo Bay surrender ceremony in Sep 1945.
Another example: if you wish to search for a portrait of Yamamoto, but do not care for the source or color, you may do the following:
- Enter "yamamoto portrait" in the "Keyword(s)" text field
- Leave the "Source" dropdown box at the default value "All"
- Leave the "Color" dropdown box at the default value "All"
Don't forget that if you are interesting in learning a little more about the people, event, etc. behind the photographs, you may do so by following the links near the bottom of the full-size photographs in a section labeled "Article(s) Linked to This Photo".
The search algorithm is still experimental, so if you encounter any bugs, have any ideas for improvement, or simply confused on how to use this search tool, please do let me know. I would love to hear your feedback.
Special thanks to Eric Tow and Jonathan Wirch for helping me beta test this new photo gallery.
Back to Main | Back to 2006 News Index
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » WW2DB's 15th Anniversary (29 Dec 2019)
- » Japan and Russia to continue negotiations on the Kuriles territorial dispute (22 Nov 2019)
- » Wreck of Akagi Found (21 Oct 2019)
- » Wreck of Kaga Found (18 Oct 2019)
- » USMC corrected Iwo Jima flag raiser identification (18 Oct 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,083 biographies
- » 332 events
- » 37,525 timeline entries
- » 1,079 ships
- » 337 aircraft models
- » 189 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 108 historical documents
- » 218 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 26,724 photos
- » 322 maps