WW2DB's new photo gallery
C. Peter chen
WW2DB is proud to present a new photo gallery this evening that bring forth a much logical flow in navigation, thumbnail previews, and perhaps most importantly a search tool that allows visitors to perform custom queries for particular photographs. For example, if you would like to search for color photographs of MacArthur from the US National Archives collection, you may do so with the following:
- Enter "macarthur" in the "Keyword(s)" text field; the text is not case sensitive
- Change the "Source" dropdown to "United States National Archives"
- Change the "Color" dropdown to "Color"
When you click "Search", you will get the two color photographs of MacArthur at the Tokyo Bay surrender ceremony in Sep 1945.
Another example: if you wish to search for a portrait of Yamamoto, but do not care for the source or color, you may do the following:
- Enter "yamamoto portrait" in the "Keyword(s)" text field
- Leave the "Source" dropdown box at the default value "All"
- Leave the "Color" dropdown box at the default value "All"
Don't forget that if you are interesting in learning a little more about the people, event, etc. behind the photographs, you may do so by following the links near the bottom of the full-size photographs in a section labeled "Article(s) Linked to This Photo".
The search algorithm is still experimental, so if you encounter any bugs, have any ideas for improvement, or simply confused on how to use this search tool, please do let me know. I would love to hear your feedback.
Special thanks to Eric Tow and Jonathan Wirch for helping me beta test this new photo gallery.
Back to Main | Back to 2006 News Index
Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
- » Two WW2-era Aircraft Crashed During Dallas Air Show (14 Nov 2022)
- » Wreck of Samuel B. Roberts Found (27 Jun 2022)
- » Wreck of Jantina Found (4 Jan 2022)
- » WW2DB's 17th Anniversary (29 Dec 2021)
- » See all news
- » 1,124 biographies
- » 334 events
- » 40,821 timeline entries
- » 1,194 ships
- » 342 aircraft models
- » 202 vehicle models
- » 368 weapon models
- » 123 historical documents
- » 247 facilities
- » 468 book reviews
- » 28,662 photos
- » 393 maps
Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, at Guadalcanal
Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 a month will go a long way. Thank you!
Or, please support us by purchasing some WW2DB merchandise at TeeSpring, Thank you!