German OKW Directive on Operation Sea Lion
Editor's Note: The following content is a transcription of a period document or a collection of period statistics. It may be incomplete, inaccurate, or biased. The reader may not wish to take the content as factual.1 Aug 1940
FÃœHRER'S HEADQUARTERS, August 1, 1940
2nd Copy to Chief of Naval Staff.
OPERATION SEA LION.
The C. in C., Navy, having reported on July 31 that the necessary preparations for "sea lion" could not be completed before September 15, the FÃ¼hrer has ordered:
- Preparations for "Sea Lion" are to be continued and completed by the Army, Navy and Air Force by September 15.
- Eight or fourteen days after the launching of the air offensive agains Britain, scheduled to begin on approximately August 5, the FÃ¼hrer will decide whether the invasion will take place this year or not; his decision will depend largely on the outcome of the air offensive.
- Should the decision be taken not to attempt the operation in September, preparations are to be continued, but not to the extent of damaging our economy through the tying up of our inland shipping system.
- In spite of the Navy's warning that they can only guarantee the defence of a narrow strip of coast (as far west as Eastbourne), preparations are to be continued for the attack on a broad basis as originally planned.
- Remain in force, but their move to the proximity of the FÃ¼hrer's HQ will not take place until immediately prior to the commencement of the operation.
By Order of the FÃ¼hrer.
(Signed) Keitel. ww2dbase
Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Â»Â Wilhelm Keitel
- Â» 1,107 biographies
- Â» 334 events
- Â» 39,146 timeline entries
- Â» 1,155 ships
- Â» 339 aircraft models
- Â» 192 vehicle models
- Â» 357 weapon models
- Â» 120 historical documents
- Â» 228 facilities
- Â» 464 book reviews
- Â» 27,810 photos
- Â» 362 maps
Winston Churchill, on the RAF
Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 a month will go a long way. Thank you!
Or, please support us by purchasing some WW2DB merchandise at TeeSpring, Thank you!