Who Were Involved in WW2?
In terms of nationality, five major countries participated in WW2.
- United Kingdom, led by Prime Minister Winston Churchill
- United States, led by President Franklin Roosevelt
- Russia and the Soviet Union, led by General Secretary Joseph Stalin, held different positions during the war. In Asia, Russia and the Soviet Union had a series of clashes with the Japanese, had a period of uneasy peace between 1941 and 1945, and then tore up the non-aggression agreement to surprise attack Japan in the final days of the war. In Europe, they invaded Poland jointly with Germany, and then joined the Allies when Germany turned on them.
There are also many other countries involved in the war. For example, led by Chairman of the Nationalist Government Chiang Kaishek, the Republic of China played a critical role in tying down many Japanese Army troops, making them unavailable to defend against the American advances in the Pacific War. Italy, too, played an important role in the political arena before the start of the European War and with her actions in North Africa and the Mediterranean Sea. Poland, France, Ukraine, and other European nations suffered greatly as much of the European War was fought on their soil. Last but not least, Commonwealth nations such as Australia and Canada devoted much of their resources for the Allied cause.
Next: When Was WW2?
Did you enjoy this article or find this article helpful? If so, please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Passing of Margaret Kelly (25 Jan 2021)
- » WW2DB's 16th Anniversary (29 Dec 2020)
- » Hidekazu Tamura shared his feelings toward his war time internment (2 Sep 2020)
- » See all news
- » 1,095 biographies
- » 332 events
- » 38,377 timeline entries
- » 1,131 ships
- » 337 aircraft models
- » 191 vehicle models
- » 352 weapon models
- » 118 historical documents
- » 225 facilities
- » 464 book reviews
- » 27,231 photos
- » 352 maps
Chiang Kaishek, 31 Jul 1937
Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 a month will go a long way. Thank you!