Who Were Involved in WW2?
In terms of nationality, five major countries participated in WW2.
- United Kingdom, led by Prime Minister Winston Churchill
- United States, led by President Franklin Roosevelt
- Russia and the Soviet Union, led by General Secretary Joseph Stalin, held different positions during the war. In Asia, Russia and the Soviet Union had a series of clashes with the Japanese, had a period of uneasy peace between 1941 and 1945, and then tore up the non-aggression agreement to surprise attack Japan in the final days of the war. In Europe, they invaded Poland jointly with Germany, and then joined the Allies when Germany turned on them.
There are also many other countries involved in the war. For example, led by Chairman of the Nationalist Government Chiang Kaishek, the Republic of China played a critical role in tying down many Japanese Army troops, making them unavailable to defend against the American advances in the Pacific War. Italy, too, played an important role in the political arena before the start of the European War and with her actions in North Africa and the Mediterranean Sea. Poland, France, Ukraine, and other European nations suffered greatly as much of the European War was fought on their soil. Last but not least, Commonwealth nations such as Australia and Canada devoted much of their resources for the Allied cause.
Next: When Was WW2?
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Passing of George H. W. Bush (1 Dec 2018)
- » Tuskegee Airman Lawrence Dickson's remains identified (30 Nov 2018)
- » Pearl Harbor sailor Walter Foley's remains identified (29 Nov 2018)
- » Sandy Gunn's wrecked Spitfire recovered in Norway (29 Nov 2018)
- » Dutch rail company NS to pay Holocaust reparations (28 Nov 2018)
- » Finland to probe role of Waffen-SS volunteers (31 May 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,042 biographies
- » 326 events
- » 35,648 timeline entries
- » 728 ships
- » 329 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 340 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 176 facilities
- » 458 book reviews
- » 24,988 photos
- » 287 maps
Winston Churchill, on the RAF