Death Photo of Ernie Pyle Found
On 16 Apr 1945, the US Army 77th Infantry Division landed on Ie Shima near Okinawa, Japan; Pyle and Army photographer Alexander Roberts landed with them. On 18 Apr, he was hit in the left temple by a machine gun bullet, killing him instantly. Roberts took a photograph of Pyle after the incident, but the photograph was not circulated, a decision made by the US War Department for the benefit for Pyle's widow.
After 60 years, several copies of this photograph have finally surfaced. For more information on this photograph, please see the MSNBC article Death photo of war reporter Ernie Pyle found. For more on the Pulitzer Prize winner, please see WW2DB's biography of Ernie Pyle.
Back to Main | Back to 2008 News Index
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » WW2-era bomb defused in Frankfurt (9 Jul 2019)
- » Birthday Celebration for WAAF Teleprinter Operator (7 Jul 2019)
- » Passing of Richard Cole, Doolittle Raider (10 Apr 2019)
- » Wreck of Wasp Found (13 Mar 2019)
- » Wreck of Hornet Found (12 Feb 2019)
- » Wreck of Hiei Found (11 Feb 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,058 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 36,626 timeline entries
- » 1,031 ships
- » 332 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 343 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 188 facilities
- » 461 book reviews
- » 25,631 photos
- » 290 maps
Thomas Dodd, late 1945