Type C-class Midget Submarine
|Displacement||46 tons full|
|Machinery||40hp diesel, 600hp electric motor|
|Bunkerage||500nm at 6 knots surfaced, 120nm at 4 knots submerged|
|Armament||2x457mm muzzle-loaded torpedoes|
|Submerged Speed||19 knots|
Contributor: David Stubblebine
This article refers to the entire Type C-class; it is not about an individual vessel.
ww2dbase15 Ko-hyoteki Hei Gata Type C midgets submarines were made and none were used operationally, according to most sources. These were also improved versions of the Type A with a crew of 3, diesel generator, and an increased radius. Some sources say as many as 47 boats were built with 15 being deployed. Given that one Type C wreck was recovered from the waters around Guam, some manner of deployment seems apparent.
ww2dbaseSources: Wikipedia; Naval History & Heritage Command; Combined Fleet; Japan-101.
Type C-class Midget Submarine Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Finland to probe role of Waffen-SS volunteers (31 May 2018)
- » Your patronage is needed for WW2DB (17 May 2018)
- » Your help is needed to transcribe WW2 documents (17 May 2018)
- » Japanese National Archives released names of Unit 731 members (17 Apr 2018)
- » Wreck of USS Helena found (12 Apr 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,039 biographies
- » 326 events
- » 35,176 timeline entries
- » 725 ships
- » 328 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 339 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 172 facilities
- » 454 book reviews
- » 24,820 photos
- » 287 maps