Type C-class Midget Submarine
|Displacement||46 tons full|
|Machinery||40hp diesel, 600hp electric motor|
|Bunkerage||500nm at 6 knots surfaced, 120nm at 4 knots submerged|
|Armament||2x457mm muzzle-loaded torpedoes|
|Submerged Speed||19 knots|
Contributor: David Stubblebine
This article refers to the entire Type C-class; it is not about an individual vessel.
ww2dbase15 Ko-hyoteki Hei Gata Type C midgets submarines were made and none were used operationally, according to most sources. These were also improved versions of the Type A with a crew of 3, diesel generator, and an increased radius. Some sources say as many as 47 boats were built with 15 being deployed. Given that one Type C wreck was recovered from the waters around Guam, some manner of deployment seems apparent.
ww2dbaseSources: Wikipedia; Naval History & Heritage Command; Combined Fleet; Japan-101.
Type C-class Midget Submarine Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Hump pilot Allen Turner's remains identified (11 Dec 2018)
- » Passing of George H. W. Bush (1 Dec 2018)
- » Tuskegee Airman Lawrence Dickson's remains identified (30 Nov 2018)
- » Pearl Harbor sailor Walter Foley's remains identified (29 Nov 2018)
- » Sandy Gunn's wrecked Spitfire recovered in Norway (29 Nov 2018)
- » Dutch rail company NS to pay Holocaust reparations (28 Nov 2018)
- » Finland to probe role of Waffen-SS volunteers (31 May 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,042 biographies
- » 327 events
- » 35,665 timeline entries
- » 728 ships
- » 329 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 340 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 176 facilities
- » 458 book reviews
- » 24,997 photos
- » 287 maps