What Was WW2?
World War II was a collection of many regional conflicts that all interacted with each other, strategically and politically. The separate wars that made up WW2 were as follows:
- The European War
The European War included Germany's two fronts, one against the Western Allies and the other against the Soviet Union. To the north, Finland and Russia fought two smaller wars that influenced the outcome of the European War as well. Notable events of this war included the Battle of Stalingrad and the Normandy invasion.
- The Pacific War
The Pacific War was primarily fought between Japan and the United States. Notable events of this war included the Attack on Pearl Harbor, the Battle of Midway, and the Battle of Iwo Jima.
- The Second Sino-Japanese War
The Second Sino-Japanese War was the first war to begin; this war was later encompassed into the China-Burma-India Theater in the overall Allied war plan. Notable events of this war included the Second Battle of Shanghai and the Rape of Nanjing.
- The Desert War
The Desert War was a war fought to secure the soft underbelly of Europe.
- The Atlantic War
The Atlantic War had critical consequence for the United Kingdom as she relied so much upon the sea to survive.
- There were also other minor conflicts that influenced WW2, such as the Italian invasion of Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War, and the Soviet-Japanese Border Wars.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Wreck of USS Indianapolis Found (19 Aug 2017)
- » Unexploded WW2 Bomb Found Near Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant (11 Aug 2017)
- » New website Russian Retrospective (10 Jan 2017)
- » See all news
- » 998 biographies
- » 322 events
- » 33,773 timeline entries
- » 715 ships
- » 316 aircraft models
- » 182 vehicle models
- » 325 weapon models
- » 99 historical documents
- » 145 facilities
- » 437 book reviews
- » 24,216 photos
- » 286 maps