What Was WW2?
World War II was a collection of many regional conflicts that all interacted with each other, strategically and politically. The separate wars that made up WW2 were as follows:
- The European War
The European War included Germany's two fronts, one against the Western Allies and the other against the Soviet Union. To the north, Finland and Russia fought two smaller wars that influenced the outcome of the European War as well. Notable events of this war included the Battle of Stalingrad and the Normandy invasion.
- The Pacific War
The Pacific War was primarily fought between Japan and the United States. Notable events of this war included the Attack on Pearl Harbor, the Battle of Midway, and the Battle of Iwo Jima.
- The Second Sino-Japanese War
The Second Sino-Japanese War was the first war to begin; this war was later encompassed into the China-Burma-India Theater in the overall Allied war plan. Notable events of this war included the Second Battle of Shanghai and the Rape of Nanjing.
- The Desert War
The Desert War was a war fought to secure the soft underbelly of Europe.
- The Atlantic War
The Atlantic War had critical consequence for the United Kingdom as she relied so much upon the sea to survive.
- There were also other minor conflicts that influenced WW2, such as the Italian invasion of Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War, and the Soviet-Japanese Border Wars.
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Passing of George H. W. Bush (1 Dec 2018)
- » Tuskegee Airman Lawrence Dickson's remains identified (30 Nov 2018)
- » Pearl Harbor sailor Walter Foley's remains identified (29 Nov 2018)
- » Sandy Gunn's wrecked Spitfire recovered in Norway (29 Nov 2018)
- » Dutch rail company NS to pay Holocaust reparations (28 Nov 2018)
- » Finland to probe role of Waffen-SS volunteers (31 May 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,042 biographies
- » 326 events
- » 35,648 timeline entries
- » 728 ships
- » 329 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 340 weapon models
- » 102 historical documents
- » 176 facilities
- » 458 book reviews
- » 24,986 photos
- » 287 maps
Winston Churchill, 1935