Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Machines such as aircraft and ships might have held greater potentials of devastation, but the infantrymen were the basic building blocks without which a war cannot be won. These infantry weapons were the infantrymen's instruments of battle.
- » Alois Brunner Said to Have Lived in Syria Until 2010 (1 Dec 2014)
- » Wreck of U-576 Identified (21 Oct 2014)
- » Wreck of USS Houston Identified (19 Aug 2014)
- » See all news
- » 808 biographies
- » 311 events
- » 31,143 timeline entries
- » 699 ships
- » 308 aircraft models
- » 166 vehicle models
- » 289 weapon models
- » 83 historical documents
- » 84 facilities
- » 359 book reviews
- » 239 maps
- » 20,016 photos, 1,655 in color