Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Machines such as aircraft and ships might have held greater potentials of devastation, but the infantrymen were the basic building blocks without which a war cannot be won. These infantry weapons were the infantrymen's instruments of battle.
- » Communist China to Commemorate Sihang Warehouse Battle (6 May 2015)
- » Lincoln Spire to Honour RAF Bomber Command (20 Apr 2015)
- » Wreck of USS Independence Located (19 Apr 2015)
- » 70th Anniversary of WW2 Victory Calendar (21 Mar 2015)
- » See all news
- » 893 biographies
- » 316 events
- » 32,378 timeline entries
- » 709 ships
- » 311 aircraft models
- » 177 vehicle models
- » 316 weapon models
- » 88 historical documents
- » 110 facilities
- » 393 book reviews
- » 22,444 photos
- » 269 maps
Winston Churchill, 1935