Aircraft were still something new at the start of WW2, but it took little time for commanders to realize these machines were a requirement of modern warfare.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, these floating cities performed duties ranging from, but not limited to, shore bombardment, aircraft launching, and transportation of men and supplies.
Twenty years after WW1 ended, the ground war was completely transformed from static trenches to highly mobile battlefields; these vehicles were the driving forces behind that change.
Machines such as aircraft and ships might have held greater potentials of devastation, but the infantrymen were the basic building blocks without which a war cannot be won. These infantry weapons were the infantrymen's instruments of battle.
- » Mein Kampf to be Commercially Available in Germany for the First Time Since WW2 (4 Jan 2016)
- » WW2DB's 11th Anniversary (29 Dec 2015)
- » Communist China to Commemorate Sihang Warehouse Battle (6 May 2015)
- » See all news
- » 901 biographies
- » 318 events
- » 32,440 timeline entries
- » 710 ships
- » 311 aircraft models
- » 177 vehicle models
- » 316 weapon models
- » 90 historical documents
- » 114 facilities
- » 402 book reviews
- » 22,691 photos
- » 270 maps