Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs
Contributor: C. Peter Chen
Lieutenant Commander Howard W. Whalen served with the United States Naval Reserves aboard USS Sanborn (APA-193) at the Battle of Iwo Jima. His color 35mm Kodachrome slides captured the war time service of Sanborn, and most notably, the Battle of Iwo Jima. The gallery on this page contains the photographs taken by Whalen. They were donated by Mrs. Nadine Whalen to the United States Navy Naval Historical center in 1997.
For more about Whalen, please see his biography entry right here at the WW2DB.com.
Last Major Update: Mar 2007
Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Share this article with your friends:
Stay updated with WW2DB:
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » WW2-era bomb defused in Frankfurt (9 Jul 2019)
- » Birthday Celebration for WAAF Teleprinter Operator (7 Jul 2019)
- » Passing of Richard Cole, Doolittle Raider (10 Apr 2019)
- » Wreck of Wasp Found (13 Mar 2019)
- » Wreck of Hornet Found (12 Feb 2019)
- » Wreck of Hiei Found (11 Feb 2019)
- » See all news
- » 1,063 biographies
- » 331 events
- » 36,997 timeline entries
- » 1,052 ships
- » 333 aircraft models
- » 186 vehicle models
- » 345 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 194 facilities
- » 463 book reviews
- » 25,851 photos
- » 300 maps
Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe, Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943