Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs
Contributor: C. Peter Chen
Lieutenant Commander Howard W. Whalen served with the United States Naval Reserves aboard USS Sanborn (APA-193) at the Battle of Iwo Jima. His color 35mm Kodachrome slides captured the war time service of Sanborn, and most notably, the Battle of Iwo Jima. The gallery on this page contains the photographs taken by Whalen. They were donated by Mrs. Nadine Whalen to the United States Navy Naval Historical center in 1997.
For more about Whalen, please see his biography entry right here at the WW2DB.com.
Last Major Update: Mar 2007
Howard W. Whalen's Iwo Jima Color Photographs Interactive Map
Did you enjoy this article? Please consider supporting us on Patreon. Even $1 per month will go a long way! Thank you.
Visitor Submitted Comments
All visitor submitted comments are opinions of those making the submissions and do not reflect views of WW2DB.
- » Wreck of Wasp Found (13 Mar 2019)
- » Wreck of Hornet Found (12 Feb 2019)
- » Wreck of Hiei Found (11 Feb 2019)
- » Possible crash site of Glenn Miller (15 Jan 2019)
- » WW2DB's 14th Anniversary (29 Dec 2018)
- » Hump pilot Allen Turner's remains identified (11 Dec 2018)
- » See all news
- » 1,048 biographies
- » 330 events
- » 36,027 timeline entries
- » 728 ships
- » 331 aircraft models
- » 184 vehicle models
- » 341 weapon models
- » 104 historical documents
- » 179 facilities
- » 458 book reviews
- » 25,241 photos
- » 290 maps
Joachim von Ribbentrop, German Foreign Minister, Aug 1939